Across the Willmar Lakes Area and Minnesota, people are embracing bicycling more. Bicycling is both a sport and a mode of transportation that is becoming increasingly popular due to social distancing with COVID-19. It is an activity that can be done solo, with a partner or with your family or group. It is a great way to get outside, get some exercise, and enjoy some time with your family while maintaining social distance. New bicycles can range in price $100 for something basic you can buy at a big box store to a specialty bike for thousands of dollars. We have some tips for not only being safe on your bike, but how to have a lot of fun biking in Willmar and the surrounding areas.
Protect your Bicycle Investment
When you are not riding your bicycle, prevent it from theft by locking it up inside your garage. When you can’t store it in a locked building secure it to a fixed immovable object with a U-Lock or another secure locking system. If your bike is a significant investment, we recommend keeping your receipts for your bike and any other special equipment that you purchased with it. As with other items within your home, take a home inventory of your bike and biking gear so if something happens, you know what was stolen or destroyed. Having a detailed inventory of your possessions will help us speed up the insurance claims process. Bicycles are typically covered under the personal property section of standard homeowners and renters insurance policies, but this can vary on the policy. Coverage would reimburse you (minus a deductible) if your bike is stolen or damaged in a fire or other disaster.
Biking in Willmar Lakes Area
There are a lot of great trails and places to explore on your bike in the Willmar Lakes Area. Some of our favorites include biking Robin’s Island Trail, Eagle Lake Trail, the road route around Green Lake, the Glacial Lakes State Trail, and at Sibley State Park.
Other Bike Resources
- Bike Willmar – Bike Willmar is a new bike-share program put on by the city of Willmar. (NOTE: Currently due to COVID-19 the Bike Willmar bikes are not available. They hope to be soon, so please check back at their Facebook page for updates). When available, There are 40 bikes in 10 docking stations around the Willmar Lakes Area that you can rent for just $1 an hour.
- Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota (article about Kandiyohi County biking)
- MN Dept. of Public Safety: Pedestrians and Biking
- Explore Minnesota Biking
- MN DNR: Biking
- MnDOT: Bicycling
- Biking in the Willmar Lakes Area (Willmar Area Convention & Visitors Bureau)
Bike Safety Tips
- Wear a bike helmet. Make sure it is a proper fit and is worn correctly.
- Check your equipment. Make sure your bike is fully tightened including seat, handlebars, and other parts. Test that your bike’s brakes are working.
- Be predictable on the road. Don’t make sudden turns. Keep both hands on handlebars and carry heavy items in a bike carrier or backpack.
- Ride with the flow of traffic, on the right side in the same direction as other vehicles.
- Don’t wear headphones while biking. It is important to be able to hear what is happening around you.
- Make sure to ride a bike that properly fits the rider and is not too big.
- Avoid riding a bike at night when it is hard for cars to see you.
- Here are some other Bike Riding Safety Tips to Practice during the Coronavirus Pandemic
Let’s Talk! Our Agents are Here for You
We are here to answer your questions and help guide you in the right direction. Have questions on your homeowner’s policy and the personal property that is covered? Needs change and the agents at MG Insurance are ready to talk to you about finding a policy to match where you are at today. Call us directly at 320-235-9394 or fill out this form to make an appointment to review your insurance needs.